Tuesday, September 2, 2008

COMMENTARY-Taking the Weekend Off

For the first time in years, I took the weekend off from racing. Not to say that I haven't missed shows for other reasons, but this weekend I just felt like staying home, making dinner, watching some football, and hanging out with my wife.

It did feel a little strange to not be at Eagle during a race night, but I did survive.

I do plan on watching the ASCS shows at Rising City on Friday night, and the Nebraska Cup at Eagle on Sunday. It sounds like there will be a pretty stout field for the weekend's events.

My Take...

-I was delighted to hear that Don Droud Jr. won the regular season finale at Eagle on Sunday, but it figures he'd win on a night I wasn't there to enjoy it!

-Tough night for the 2008 Eagle Track Champion Mike Boston. After getting upside down in hot laps, he was able to make repairs and qualify through the B. After a charge through the field, Boston was leading the A feature, when his front axle reportedly broke, causing Boston to crash again, destroying the car.

-I am glad that Chad Humston is behind the wheel of a sprinter again. Humston has been primarily running a late model for the past two summers. With his late model ride parked for the time being, Humston has teamed up with Mark Burch to run a few races in the famous "Banana Wagon".

Humston is an entertaining driver and should be a lot of fun to watch in the coming races.

-The Nebraska State Fair has come, and gone. It's been four years since they've run sprints during the fair, and incidentally, it's been four years since I've been there. I'm not a huge fan of the track there and facilities on the fairgrounds, but I did always enjoy the novelty of watching races in the heart of Lincoln.

More than likely, the fair will be moved out of Lincoln, so we may never again get the opportunity to watch open wheel racing at the fairgrounds. That ends a tradition going back to the early part of the 20th century in Lincoln.

-Jack Dover won his 13th feature of the season Saturday night at Lake Ozark Speedway in Missouri. Dover followed up his Saturday night win with a third place run Sunday night.

Dover is my pick to win the Nebraska Cup this Sunday. I know, that's really going out on a limb.

-I really hope that we're able to watch a National ASCS 360 show in the state of Nebraska next summer. I think the June date at JMS would make a perfect setting for the National Tour to run.

And Finally...

-My first trip to the Butler County Motorplex in several seasons. I really like the track there, and with a field of ASCS Midwest cars, it should be a great program. On Sunday, the ASCS Midwest 2008 campaign comes to an end at Eagle in the Nebraska Cup. I think this year is a good step to putting the NE Cup back where it belongs as one of Eagle's premier events.

Two great shows, with a Nebraska game sandwiched in between. It should be a fun weekend!