Friday, July 3, 2009

Uhhhh Yeah About Last Night...Or This Morning

I-80 Speedway, I've got a few items I'd like to share with you. First, thanks for scheduling sprints. I know running open wheelers is not something you're into on a regular basis, so I'm always appreciative of the opportunity to see an extra sprint show here in Nebraska.

Also, congrats on one of the best crowds I've seen at a dirt track race here in the Cornhusker state. The grandstands were packed!

Now, don't get me wrong, the sprint feature was enjoyable. However, I found my enthusiasm tempered a bit by the fact that the cars were not pushed off until well after midnight.

Perhaps it was the fact that the late model feature took an hour and a half to run. Maybe it was because the late models should have been run last. After all, they were the "Feature Event".

I realize that it's not your fault that 67 late models showed up. However, maybe next time if you have a feeling that you're going to have 60+ cars in a class, start the show a little earlier.

Also, instead of having three, squabbling sanctions attempting to run the show their way, make one the supreme commander and go with it. A good portion of that 40 lap late model feature was spent watching the cars stopped on the track and re-aligned.

Oh yeah, maybe next time don't run 40 freakin' laps. Cut it a little short when it's past the midnight hour.

Overall I-80, it's going to take a lot for another track on my schedule to run a show as poorly as you did last night. Congrats on setting the mark.

I know I-80, I'm complaining a lot. I'm probably coming off as just another elitist sprint car snob, crying over spilled milk.

However, I think it would benefit you to take a look at how shows like this are run in the future. In the "family-first" climate of dirt track racing, shows running past 1 am are not going to cut it.

No worries though I-80, I'll be back in August for the non-wing sprinters. You'll have one more chance this season for my business. I just hope that the Monday night race doesn't turn into Tuesday morning.